Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Feb 27, 2008

Galatians 1:10 "For do I now persuade me, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a servant of Christ."

Paul wrote this right after warning others to not accept any other gospel than the one he has preached.

Are people accepting a different gospel in order to be a people pleaser?

I find it interesting that he says "for if I still pleased men." Meaning that at one time in his life, he sought to please men. He did things to please others. Paul was considered one of the most godly men in his persecution of Christians before his conversion.

I think we all struggle with the desire to please others. Why? Because we get recognition when we do. I know my daughter strives to please me. But I would much rather her be a servant of Christ. Her serving Christ would please me one hundred times over what ever earthly thing she has done to please me.

I find it interesting that you cannot please men AND be a servant of Christ. Of course I believe that in serving Christ, others can be brought pleasure (like serving Christ by giving a coat to someone in need brings that person pleasure, but it was done in service to the Lord and not out of any selfish ambition).

I think the trouble comes in when you cannot serve two masters. You will love the one and hate the other. When you are pleasing others, you are in service to man (be it the other person or yourself).

No comments: