Tuesday, March 11, 2008

March 11, 2008

Why is carving out time to read the Bible everyday so difficult? I am so selfish with my time. I would rather watch a movie, read a book, or even craft than read the Bible.

I guess that is why I am really drawn to what Elizabeth Prentiss says in her book Stepping Heavenward about not trying to read the Bible chapters at a time. But take a few verses DAILY and meditate on those. I need to pray for God to help me be better about reading His word and mediating on it daily.

So Galatians 3:6-9

Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

I love using Websters 1828 dictionary to define words, especially biblical words, because Webster used the dictionary to define his words in the 1828 version. (emphasis mine)

1. Purity of heart and rectitude of life; conformity of heart and life to the divine law. Righteousness, as used in Scripture and theology, in which it is chiefly used, is nearly equivalent to holiness, comprehending holy principles and affections of heart, and conformity of life to the divine law. It includes all we call justice, honesty and virtue, with holy affections; in short, it is true religion.


I know that our righteousness now comes through Jesus.

I also find it interesting that in verse 7 he uses the word ONLY. "only (emphasis mine) those who are of the faith are sons of Abraham."

This comes right after Paul talks about how we are saved by faith not by works. I wonder if people were walking around back then claiming to be sons of Abraham just like there are people running around today claiming to be Christians.

I say claiming because it seems that if you are born in America and are a pretty good person, then you are a "Christian". What the world fails to take into account is what the Bible says a true Christian is. From my understanding, it is someone who knows and loves God, follows His commandments and seeks to do His will for His glory.

Righteousness is definitely an interesting and eye opening word study.

Some verses that really struck me:

Matthew 5:20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

Romans 6:18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

1 John 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

No comments: