Wednesday, March 05, 2008

March 5, 2008

Galatians 3:1-5

I have no idea or thoughts on anything in Galatians 2. LOL! I read it over and over again and prayed, but nothing.

However, reading into chapter three, I can see why chapter 2 is there.

Christ would have died in vain if righteousness came through the law. I am guessing that the Galatian church has fallen back into old beliefs about following the law in order to be cleaned/saved?

I know that I myself have this ... thing within me that tries to please God through my works. And I must admit that a part of me starts feeling that I have to work in order to be saved.

Paul would call me foolish. Not once, but TWICE. Taken from the Websters 1828 dictionary:

In scripture, wicked; sinful; acting without regard to the divine law and glory, or to one's own eternal happiness.


WOW! I know that I focus on acts sometimes in order to avoid wickedness and sin, and yet, in doing so, I am focusing on my own eternal happiness. It goes back to Galations 1 where I fall into seeking to please man (and myself) rather than serving God.

I think I need to print out Galatians 3:1-5 and hang it up where I can read it every day. I need to remind myself that I did not receive the Spirit by my works, but by hearing of faith. So too, having begun in the Spirit, I cannot be made perfect in the flesh.

I wonder if I am hindering the Spirit in my life (and the life of my children) by focusing too much on works and not walking/living in faith more?

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Great commentaries! Thanks so much for doing this. What a joy!